• Search
  • |
  • Tenant login



Information for tenants on fire safety and on homes with external wall insulation (EWI)

After the tragic events at Grenfell Tower, we want to reassure tenants on the EWI products we use and fire safety. If there are any questions we have not answered please contact us by email at info@taicalon.org, on social media via our Facebook page or by phone on 0300 303 1717 and we will get back to you with an answer.

My home has External Wall Insulation. Is it safe for me and my family?

We do not use the aluminium composite rain screen panels used on Grenfell Tower in London. The products we use on all of our houses meet all building regulations and fire safety standards.

A public inquiry has been announced and we will make sure we are aware of any recommendations made.

The Fire Service note that the majority of fires start inside the home for example from candles, cigarettes, appliances and chip pans. Therefore it is a good idea to make sure you are familiar with the advice here.

Is the EWI fire-resistant?

We make sure that wherever we have fitted EWI we follow the manufacturer’s instructions. All EWI systems fitted by Tai Calon is independently assessed by the British Board of Agrément and they provide a (BBA) Certificate if the system passes. The BBA assures the public on their website that “only products and systems that have passed a series of comprehensive assessments – including laboratory tests, on-site evaluations, quality management checks and inspections of production are awarded an Agrément Certificate”.

Below is the link where you can watch a Youtube video of a fire test carried out on one of the External Wall Insulation systems we use.

This is a test conducted by the British Research Establishment (BRE). All EWI system must pass this test to be awarded a BBA Certificate.

All the systems Tai Calon use meet this standards.


How else can I stay safe?

Your home is fitted with smoke alarms. Make sure that these are not tampered with. The smoke alarms are wired into the electrical supply in your property and are checked annually by Tai Calon. You should check the alarm weekly by pressing the test button on the unit.

You should also think about an evacuation plan for you and your family in the event of a fire. Do not block exits and make sure stairways are always clear and there is nothing to trip over. Make sure you can get hold of keys for locked doors and windows should you need to use them to escape.

In the event of a fire, get out of the building and call 999 immediately.

What about sheltered housing and flats?

We carry out fire risk assessments at our sheltered accommodation sites, flats and other buildings with communal spaces. These assessments are carried out by competent risk assessors who have had many years experience in the fire service, usually as serving fire officers.

The South Wales Fire and Rescue Service have access to our fire safety database. We carry out regular checks of our fire detection systems in line with current regulations and best practice arrangements. We also carry out regular inspections of other safety components such as emergency lighting, electrical testing, gas servicing and fire doors. We have built programmes of investment to identify areas to ensure that we maintain high standards for the future.

  • Get in touch
  • 0300 303 1717
  • info@taicalon.org
  • Text taicalon to 60030,
    followed by your message.