Carbon Monoxide

In the UK, carbon monoxide poisoning in the home accounts for 50 recorded deaths per year, and as many as 4,000 medical visits, according to the Department of Health.

You can’t see it, smell it or taste it but it is extremely toxic. It is produced by appliances and vehicles burning fuels, such as coal, oil, natural/bottled gas, paraffin, wood, petrol, diesel, charcoal etc. High levels of CO in a house can

be caused by:

  • Incorrectly or poorly installed fuel-burning appliances.
  • Blocked or cracked chimneys/flues.
  • Blocked vents or draught-proofing which makes areas airtight.
  • Engines of cars, lawnmowers etc. left running in confined spaces.
  • Portable paraffin or gas heaters in badly ventilated rooms

When the alarm detects potentially dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, it flashes the red alarm light= immediately and then sounds a loud alarm. If your carbon imonoxide alarm activates contact the Emergency Service Provider immediately on 0800 111999.

NEVER IGNORE THE ALARM !

Every year during the annual gas safety check a Tai Calon as engineer will check the carbon monoxide alarms are in date and replace if necessary. However there are some routine weekly checks that should be carried out by you:

  • To test the alarm press and hold the test button. The Alarm will flash green and the horn will sound. This means the alarm is powered and operating correctly.
  • If there is a fault condition the amber light will flash and the horn will beep. In this instance contact Tai Calon straight away on 0300 303 1717 to arrange for a new alarm to be fitted.
  • Clean the outside case by occasionally wiping with a clean damp cloth. Do not use any cleaning agents, bleaches, detergents or polishes, including those in aerosol cans. Avoid spraying air fresheners, hair spray, paint or other aerosols near the alarm.