Gas Safety Week 2020

Tai Calon Community Housing was delighted to support Gas Safety Week. We have for a number of years been actively engaged in supporting the Gas Safe Register in the promotion of its key messages, and in particular the wider dangers of carbon monoxide. This year’s campaign focused on the impact to individuals, families and communities who are at risk at being impacted by gas explosions caused by carbon monoxide.

 

What is carbon monoxide (CO)?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas produced by the incomplete burning of natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). This can happen when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. Solid fuels, such as coal, wood, petrol, as well as oil, can also produce carbon monoxide when they burn. CO can be deadly and is especially dangerous because you can’t see, taste or smell it, and some symptoms mimic the effects of viruses and even a bad hangover. It’s important to know the physical symptoms of CO poisoning to ensure you seek help quickly.

What are the signs of a carbon monoxide leak?

Any of the following could be a sign of CO in your home:

  • Floppy yellow or orange flame on your gas hob, rather than crisp blue
  • Dark, sooty staining on or around gas appliances
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Increased condensation inside windows

If you detect any of these signs, please contact your Gas Safe registered engineer immediately to come and inspect your gas appliances and flues.