In 2016 the Welsh Government passed The Renting Homes (Wales) Act which will replace current housing legislation. Its purpose is to set up a single legal framework for social and private renting, enabling a ‘single social tenancy’ for Wales.
The Renting Homes Act (Wales) 2016 implementation date has changed from the 15th July 2022 to the 1st December 2022.
This delay is to assist landlords and tenants to prepare for the significant changes as a result of the new law coming into force.
Click here to read the Written Ministerial Statement issued by the Minister for Climate Change today in respect of a delay to the implementation date of the Renting Homes (Wales) Act.
The Act gives greater clarity on the rights and responsibilities for both tenants and landlords through written contracts. This is currently known as a tenancy agreement. In addition, the Act will standardise tenancy agreements.
What does this all mean for our customers?
Soon your (tenancy) contract will be updated and sent to you. We will keep you informed of these changes as they happen.
Here are some key points to be aware of:
- The renting homes act will be introduced to the whole of Wales by 15 July 2022
- New Terms
- Tai Calon Community Housing will be known as a Community Landlord
- A Tenant will now be called a Contract Holder
- Tenancy will change to an Occupation Contract
- There will be two types of contracts – Secure and standard
- It will merge multiple housing legislations into one legal framework
- The Act will simplify and improve customers rights
- On 15 July 2022, every tenant in Wales will automatically be moved to the new contract
- We are working with our legal team to draft the new contracts. You should expect to receive your new agreement in July 2022.
If you would like to know more information about the Renting Homes Act 2016, click this link: https://gov.wales/housing-law-changing-renting-homes
Here is a list of links to information you will find useful:
“The Way You Rent is Changing”
Guidance for Tenants
Guidance for Landlords
Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016
Renting Homes (Amendment) (Wales) Act 2021
Welsh Government Facebook Page
Welsh Government Communities Twitter
Renting Homes Guidance including Model Written Statements / Contracts