Managing your rent arrears

If you are experiencing difficulties paying us what you owe, please call us straight away and speak to a member of the Income Team 0300 303 1717

We will advise and support you, so please don’t wait until you owe a large amount of money before you get in touch.

It is not a good idea to borrow from finance companies or illegal money lenders to pay off any money you owe us. They often have higher interest charges that the high street lenders like banks and building societies. This means you’ll owe the finance company a lot more than you borrowed from them. If you are a victim of an illegal lender, please phone the Illegal Money Lending Team for help on their confidential hotline 0300 555 2222.

We would expect you to pay your rent before you pay any other money you owe. But if you can’t do this for a genuine reason, please ring us to talk about it. We want to try and help you so please give us a call.

Our number is 0300 303 1717.

We will take a look at any money you owe us in a fair, but firm way. If you are unable to pay what you owe, there are things we may need to do:

We may need to:

  • Look at your income and expenditure and agree a payment arrangement
  • Look to see if you are receiving all the income you are entitled to
  • Look to see if we should refer you to one of Tai Calon’s support workers
  • Refer you to another organisation for debt advice
  • Serve a Notice of Seeking Possession. This is a legal notice and the first step towards losing your home
  • As a last resort get in touch with the court which could lead to you losing your home

For further advice visit the Money Advice Service website.