Home contents insurance may seem complicated, and many people think they cannot afford it, but we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Ageas Insurance Ltd to offer our tenants the chance to insure their home contents and belongings through the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme.

We are not responsible for your home contents and belongings, this is your responsibility. You should protect your home contents and belongings, clothes, furniture, TVs, carpets, and even your jewellery.

My Home Contents Insurance Scheme covers your home contents against, fire, theft, flood, water damage and much more.

Why do I need it?

Contents insurance helps protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen, so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

My Home Contents Insurance Scheme

Tai Calon has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. My Home Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks, and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

My Home Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose My Home Contents Insurance Scheme.

  • Apply over the telephone or complete an application form
  • No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)
  • Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • Covers tenants’ improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
  • Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000)
  • Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  • Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms. If keys are lost or stolen
  • You don’t need to have a special door or window locks (just a lockable front door)
  • Flexible regular Pay-As-You-Go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge).

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance. Thistle has approached a single insurer, Ageas Insurance Limited. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording, which you should read carefully. The premiums and payment methods available are shown on the rate card here. Please note fortnightly, and monthly premiums include a transaction change.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you, please get in touch with Thistle Tenant Risks, who will be happy to help with your queries.

How do I get further information?

If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can complete an application form or call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288. Alternatively, visit www.thistlemyhome.co.uk for more information.

Before completing the application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement and Insurance Product Information Document. These documents give you important information on your rights, how we deal with you and your insurance, and key information regarding insurance coverage. Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means you will be provided with the correct information to decide which cover is appropriate for your needs.

What to do if you have a complaint

It is always the intention to give You the best possible service, but if you have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim, you should follow the procedure.

A copy of Thistle Insurance Services’ complaint procedure is available on request. For additional information, view our complaints page www.thistlemyhome.co.uk/Make-a-Complaint.

The National Housing Federation and Community Housing Cymru are working in partnership with Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419.

Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at https://www.thistleinsurance.co.uk/Privacy-Policy.


My home insurance application pack
My Home Contents Insurance - A special service for tenants and residents - Policy Wording
Tenants and residents home contents insurance scheme costs - from 1st July 2023
Insurance Product Information Document
Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement