Mutual exchange enables tenants to swap their home with another Tai Calon tenant or a tenant of any other Housing Association or Council. This can be a great way of finding a more suitable home, either locally or in another area.

Who can ask to exchange?

Most tenants of Councils, Housing Associations or other Registered Social Landlords can request permission to carry out a mutual exchange, but you must have moved in and have been living at your property for 12 months.

How do I find a mutual exchange swap?

You can find a mutual exchange swap on  This is a free service for Tai Calon tenants to register and holds details of tenants from all over the country looking to swap their property. You can add your details if you wish and our Customer Services Advisors can help you if needed.

What should I do if I find someone to exchange with?

You contact the tenant directly and arrange to view each other’s property. Please make sure you look carefully at the property and you are satisfied with it. Please remember that if you move, Tai Calon will not carry out any cleaning, decorating or other work that is the tenant’s responsibility. If you like each other’s properties, you will need to apply for permission for the exchange.

How do I apply for permission?

Please put your request in writing to us at Tai Calon Community Housing, Solis One, Rising Sun Industrial Estate, Blaina, Blaenau Gwent. NP13 3JW or email If you are a joint tenant, both tenants will need to sign the application letter and give us your contact details. If you wish to exchange with someone who is not a Tai Calon tenant, you also need to contact their landlord.

What happens next?

Once initial request letters have been received from both applicants application forms will be sent for completion and we will check your tenancy records. The Community Housing Officer for your area will contact you to arrange a visit with a Technical Officer to inspect your home. An inspection is needed so that we can advise you of any tenant responsibilities or repairs that you need to do before the exchange, as well as advising the incoming tenant of any additional responsibilities.

If your exchange partner is not a tenant with Tai Calon, we will liaise with their landlord to exchange references and discuss the proposed exchange.

Tai Calon will also arrange for landlord gas and electric safety checks to be done before you move. You must allow our staff or contractors access to your property to carry out these checks as an exchange can’t go ahead without them.

How long will it take for Tai Calon to make a decision?

We will try to make the decision as quickly as possible. The maximum time we are allowed to take to make the decision is 42 days.

Can Tai Calon refuse to give permission?

Examples where permission can be refused include:

  • Legal action is being taken e.g. a Notice Seeking Possession has been served or a Court Order has been issued.
  • The property is unsuitable for the household wanting to move in e.g. it is too large or too small, it has been adapted for people with disabilities or it is sheltered housing.
  • You have a starter or introductory tenancy.

Please contact your Community Housing Officer if you are unsure about the type of tenancy you have or for any further information you require.

Can Tai Calon delay the move?

Tai Calon can attach a condition to any consent and you would be unable to move until the condition was met. For example, we could give permission subject to you clearing any arrears on the rent account, or completing a repair or other work that you are responsible for. This must be done to our satisfaction and we will carry out an inspection to check this.

How will I know your decision?

A letter will be sent to you, either giving permission and outlining any conditions, or giving the reasons for refusal. The permission letter will also tell you about any items you will become responsible for e.g. any alterations or improvements made by your exchange partner, as Tai Calon will treat these items as if you carried them out yourself. This means Tai Calon will not be responsible for their upkeep or replacement.

What would happen if we moved before we had written permission?

If you move without written permission, you risk making you and your household homeless. Both you and the person that had moved into your home would become illegal occupants. You would also have no right to move back to your current home as you would have breached the tenancy of the property by giving up possession.

If Tai Calon gives written permission for the move to go ahead, what do I need to do?

You should contact your exchange partner to agree a date you would like to move and then contact your Community Housing Officer to confirm this. The moving date must be on a Monday. Your Community Housing Officer will make an appointment for you and your exchange partner to come into the office to complete the necessary paperwork.

You will be asked to sign a Deed of Assignment and you will be given a copy of the tenancy agreement. We will also explain your tenancy rights at this appointment. All joint tenants must attend this appointment. It is usual for all parties to attend this appointment together and if the other party is a tenant of another local landlord that landlord attends too.

How do I hand over the keys?

You must agree with the person you are exchanging with about how and when you will swap keys. If the property is not in the condition I expected, what can I do? It is your responsibility to inspect the property thoroughly before you agree to move and again before you hand over your keys. You should agree with your exchange partner exactly how they will be leaving the property and who will be responsible for any outstanding repairs or rubbish. You must not assume that Tai Calon will take responsibility for carrying out any work unless you have written confirmation that we will do so.

There may be some instances were a mutual exchange may not be possible – Your Community Housing Officer will advice you if this is the case and the reason why

If you want further advice regarding mutual exchange please contact your Community Housing Officer on 0300 303 1717.