We want to make sure you don’t have to worry about falling into arrears and that your rent is paid on time, every time.

These weeks are as follows: 

  • 25th March 2024
  • Monday, 26 August 2024 
  • Monday, 23 December 2024 
  • Monday, 30 December 2024 
  • Monday, 31 March 2025 

Before you take up a tenancy with us, we will arrange for you to meet your Community Housing Officer and Rent and Income Advisor. They will discuss with you how you can pay your rent. They can also help with budgeting and advise about what benefits may be available

You will also receive help to apply for Housing Benefit/Universal Credit*, which may cover all or part of your rent.

It is important that an application for Housing Benefit/Universal Credit is made as early as possible because it can take some time to be processed. In the meantime, you are responsible for paying the rent.

*Housing Benefit is gradually being replaced by Universal Credit from October, 2013. You can no longer ask Blaenau Gwent Council to pay your rent directly to us. Instead, you will be responsible for making sure it is paid on time, every time.

Please remember your home may be at risk if you fall into arrears with your rent.

Annual Rent Increase

All tenants have a rent increase on 1st April.

What should I do if I think there has been a mistake?

You should contact us immediately if you think an error has been made.

What if I have difficulties paying my rent?

The rent we collect pays to maintain and improve our homes. As a business we couldn’t survive without it and we adopt a firm, but fair approach to rent arrears.

We realise that sometimes it may be difficult for you to pay, for example, because of illness, unemployment or the birth of a child. However, it is very important that you contact us immediately if you are unable to pay some or all of your rent. The earlier we are aware of any problems, the sooner we can offer help and advice. We may also be able to give assistance in claiming other benefits.

What happens if I do not pay my rent?

If you miss a rent payment, we will write to you asking for it to be paid immediately. If you fail to respond, we will send further letters and visit you at your home.

We will work with you to reach an agreement on how you can repay your arrears. It is essential you keep to that arrangement, otherwise we may take further legal action.

If you fail to pay your rent or to keep to an agreement we can go to the County Court. This could lead to you incurring legal fees and being evicted from your home.

If that happens the local council is not obliged to re-house you because you have made yourself intentionally homeless.

If we take legal action, the first step of the process involves issuing a Notice of Seeking Possession (NOSP). This gives you 28 days to pay your arrears or to make arrangements for clearing them. If you receive an NOSP it is important you contact us immediately for advice. Once the notice has been issued we can apply to the County Court for an Arrears Hearing anytime during the next 12 months. You will be notified in advance of the date of the court hearing and it is very important that you attend.

What happens at court?

We can apply to the court for a Possession Order, which can give us the legal authority to seek an eviction. The court can suspend the order, and allow you to remain in your home, provided you keep to the agreed repayment plan. You will also have to pay the costs of Tai Calon bringing the legal action. The Court Order will remain in force until the arrears and legal fees have been repaid.

What if I fail to keep to the terms of the repayment order?

We can ask the court for a date to evict you. If granted, we will instruct the Court Bailiff to take possession of your home. In these circumstances we will not provide you with another home and we will take further action to recover the money still owed to us.

For further help or information

Tai Calon Community Housing,
Solis One,
Rising Sun Industrial Estate,
NP13 3JW.

All information is treated in the strictest of confidence.